Lately school and related work has gotten a little crazy, so I’ve been making lots of quick veggie sautees. This garlic bread is the perfect partner for these and almost any meal (and it’s also just a savory little snack on its own…). No butter, healthy oil, super quick, and delicious – what more could you want from this classic comfort food?
- 2 slices organic sprouted whole grain bread (try Alvarado Bakery)
- 1 to 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- Italian seasoning
- Garlic powder
- Use a large butter knife to spread the oil evenly across both slices of bread (on one side only).
- Cut the garlic clove in half. Holding one half with the cut side against the oiled bread, rub the garlic all over the bread (it gives it a quick infusion of flavor). Then, mince both halves of the clove and sprinkle across both slices evenly.
- Sprinkle the seasoning across the top of both slices, then add a few dashes of garlic powder and paprika too.
- Place on a baking sheet and broil on high for about 5 minutes, until golden brown. After a few minutes, it will crisp up quickly so check it every 15-30 seconds to avoid burning.
Over the summer, I found an amazing extra virgin olive oil infused with garlic – it’s utterly delicious. It also makes garlic bread easier, because I don’t have to use the garlic clove or powder (although using real garlic definitely gives health benefits, but when pressed for time I’ll leave it out). If you can find this kind of oil, just spread it across the bread, add your seasonings and broil until golden!